A networking resource devoted to biological soil crusts and the researchers who study them. We will provide a means for international scientists to communicate, share their research, share important news and announcements, ask questions and find collaborators. We will also provide a space for informal writing on research, opinion, and ideas (now seeking posters!).

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Crust versus road

Kyle Doherty sent me the following from Mesa Verde:

"I came across an old decommissioned asphalt road today that appears to be losing ground to some crust.  I didn't excavate to see how far it had encroached upon the road, as I didn't want to disturb it.  I thought it was pretty cool given the level of development."






It reminds me of an old steel cattle tank I saw near Canyonlands. The rivets had rusted out, and it couldn't hold much water anymore, but had accumulated some soil which grew a nice little crust garden. Even better, Sue Phillips used to have a beer bottle found out in the Mojave desert. Soil had blown in and a biocrust complete with mosses had grown in there as if it were a greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment